Rushed in the morning? No time for a full breakfast? Most of us love the idea of toast, but when we think of the toppings we know the options carry little nutrition: butter, jam, peanut butter, cream cheese or nutella.
It’s time to put a twist on toast! Here are some of my top 5 tips to re-enjoy toast for breakfast that will leave you full with a happy healthy belly!
- It starts with the bread! Let’s think outside the white bread box… there are so many grains that offer a wide variety of nutrition. Start by trying anything but wheat: spelt, kamut, Ezekiel, sourdough, rye – the pure stuff!
- Pack in the protein, and think outside the breakfast box: who said you can’t eat chicken, sardines or beef strips in the morning? You can also use low-fat cheese like ricotta, or mix peanut butter with protein powder if you are feeling like something sweet.
- Love your FAT: we are such a fat phobic society. Healthy fats are an important part of the diet and are a great start to the day. Keep the yolk in the egg, drizzle pure olive oil or flax oil, or mash some avocado.
- Left-overs are limitless! I especially love making extra roasted veggies – the next morning they taste great cold or shredded and added to eggs.
- Go for colour: a slice of tomato, lettuce leaves or grilled eggplant are just a few of the colours of the rainbow.
Check out my twist….Sourdough bread with mashed avocado, leftover grilled veggies, a slice of white allegro cheese and topped with a tomato!