Stracciatella sounds so much better than “egg drop” soup – but don’t be fooled, they are the same!
Growing up, this was a staple meal in our house during the winter months. Not only is it warm and comforting, but it is a quick, easy, dinner meal made with common pantry and fridge ingredients. Be sure to pair it with a salad or add in extra vegetables, noodles or rice to up your carbohydrates.
This recipe serves 4 and has 150 kcal, 6 g Carbohydrates, 15 g Protein, 8 g Fat
- 8 cups organic, low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 4 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 grated parmesan cheese
- Over low heat, bring stock to a simmer. Once simmering, add spinach and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, grated cheese and some freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Once spinach is tender, add about 1/3 of the egg mixture to the soup, while continuously whisking, to make shreds of eggs.
- Add remaining eggs in 2 more batches, letting the soup return to a boil between additions.
- Once all of the eggs have been added, bring soup to a final boil and use the whisk to break up any large clusters of eggs.