There are so many articles piling up that suggest that your backyard barbeque may cause cancer! There are two specific carcinogens that have been studied that are linked to specific cancers, these are
Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) – smoke that is produced with fat drips onto the grills.
Heterocyclic Amines (HCAs) – when protein reacts with high temperatures, this compound is released
If you enjoy the grilling season, here are some tips to minimize these harmful toxins.
- Clean the grill – use heat to clean vs chemicals
- Trim the fat – fat plus heat is when most of the toxins are released
- Marinate with antioxidants – protect your food! Great marinades include oranges, apple cidar vinegar, ginger, lemon, chives and spices.
- Cook slow and under low heat
- Flip frequently
- To avoid burning – cook small and thinner pieces of meat
- Avoid the pork and up the fish – this will reduce HCA production greatly
- Grill fruits and veggies – they don’t produce these harmful substances
- Avoid charred foods
- Do not use a microwave to thaw your food
These quick tips will reduce carcinogens…happy grilling