Whole302010 – SUPERfood SPOTLIGHT
Why we like it
Excellent source of easily digestible, gluten-free vegetarian protein – contains all 9 essential amino acids that make up a complete protein
Full of good omega fatty acids and has high amounts of natural phytosterols which help to reduce cholesterol levels and improve cardiovascular health
Packed with important nutrients like magnesium, fiber, folate, iron and phosphorus in addition to its high antioxidant content
Very versatile food as it can be consumed as a spread, in the form of seeds, oil, non-dairy milk alternative or as protein powder and all of equal nutritional value!
5 ways to use it
- Sprinkle hemp hearts on yogurt, applesauce, salads or in smoothies
- Mix hemp beverage with ½ cup tea for a tasty after dinner hot “latte” beverage
- Bump up the nutrition using hemp protein powder or hemp hearts in pancakes, muffins, cookies or granola
- Add to soups to thicken or as garnish
- Use hemp oil to create a power packed vinaigrette for salad, dipping veggies or as a marinade
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats (ground into a flour)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup packed pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 scoops PureLean protein powder
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a cake pan with two pieces of parchment paper, one going each way.
- Add rolled oats into a high-speed blender. Blend on highest speed until a fine flour forms. Add oat flour into a large bowl.
- Add water and pitted dates into blender. Allow the dates to soak for 30 minutes if they are a bit firm or your blender has a hard time blending dates smooth. Once they are soft, blend the dates and water until super smooth.
- Add all of the ingredients into the bowl with the oat flour and stir well until combined.
- Scoop the mixture into the pan and spread it out with a spatula as evenly as possible. You can use lightly wet hands to smooth it down if necessary.
- Bake at 325F for about 23-25 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then lift it out and transfer it to a cooling rack for another 5-10 minutes. Slice into 15 squares and enjoy! I suggest freezing leftovers to preserve freshness.
Ok, week 1 of the WHOLE 302010 is well underway – how have you found this week? Any suggestions to your fellow challengers that made it easier for you to follow or introduce Hemp Hearts this week? We want to hear your favourite way to use this superfood!