Why We Like It:
Pumpkin time is coming up and they are good for more than just Hallowe’en fun. When they are in season take advantage of all the nutritional benefits that are associated with the pumpkin.
Pumpkins come in many shapes, sizes and colors; however the pumpkin & its seeds are packed with anti-oxidants, fibre, minerals & B-complex vitamins.
What’s its Breakdown:
Pumpkins are low in calories, which make them ideal for weight loss. In 100g there are only 26 kcal, 6.5g of carbs, 1g of protein and NO FAT! Pumpkin also has no cholesterol.
Pumpkin Seeds are also very beneficial because they are high in dietary fibre, a great source of potassium, and they too have no cholesterol. In 100g of pumpkin seeds there are 559kcal and 30g of protein.
Benefits of Pumpkins:
- Helps increase eyesight: with the increased amounts of vitamin A in both the pumpkin and its seeds, it is a great benefit to help keep your eyesight in sharp
- Aids in weight loss: Pumpkin is very low in calories, and high in fiber which ultimately aids in weight loss
- Pumpkin seeds help to decrease you cholesterol, because they are high in fiber. This is great to help with keeping your heart healthy
- Recovery: pumpkin is very high in potassium, even higher than a banana, and this is great to help you recover after a tough workout
- High in anti-oxidants: High amount of anti-oxidants help to reduce cancer risks and help keep your skin wrinkle free
Check out this previous blog for a delicious pumpkin soup recipe