Although most of the calories in an avocado come from fat, that healthy, beneficial fat helps to keep you full and satiated. Fat is essential for every single cell in the body. Consuming healthy fats helps slow the breakdown of carbohydrates, which aid in maintaining blood sugar levels.
7 things you may not know about avocados
- They have the highest protein and fiber content of any fruit.
- They improve mental clarity and lower the risk of depression due to their high levels of folate.
- They help your body absorb nutrients from plant foods.
- They contain more potassium than a banana. (485mg vs. 358mg per 100g)
- They strengthen your immune system.
- They help to regulate your blood sugar and balance your hormones.
- They aid in weight loss and help to control your appetite.
Some quick ways to add avocados into your diet:
- Add to smoothies
- Spread on toast instead of butter
- Add to your salads
- Make guacamole or dip
- Straight up with some lemon juice and favourite seasoning