Summer is a difficult time for anyone watching their weight.
All of the barbecues, pool parties, and spur of the moment get together add up quickly. We have developed a summer guide to help you make it through the next few months. Like any weight loss/ maintenance goal, it takes dedication to see the results, but we are here to help you along the way.
Here are some tips and tricks to help you through your summer socials:
- PLAN AHEAD! Plan out the week. When do you have events? When will you need “on the go” meals? Freezer meals are always helpful during a busy week!
- At social events carry water in one hand and a napkin in the other. By always having your hands full and having a drink with you people will be less likely to offer you another drink. If they do offer you an alcoholic drink, remember it is not impolite to say “no”.
- If you are out somewhere, avoid alcohol by ordering sparkling water. It is still a special drink, different from what you typically have but with minimal calories. Or have your favorite soft drink.
- If you are going to a party where you know there won’t be anything healthy, eat beforehand and bring some of your own healthy snacks to eat.
- Increase the number of vegetables you consume during the day. Vegetables are low in calories and packed with vitamins, minerals, and fibre, but often we do not consume enough of them. During the summer grilled and raw vegetables are refreshing and nutritious.
- Even small cheats add up! In the summer months, we are more likely to consume small extras because the days are longer and we are typically at more social events. To avoid mindless eating try keeping a glass of water or mug of herbal tea nearby when you are watching TV or relaxing. Chewing gum can also be a great way to prevent popping little bits of food in your mouth!
- Long day? Try splitting one of your meals in half to stretch it out longer. The meal still needs to be properly proportioned, so instead of a 30-20-10 meal have 2 meals at 15-10-5!
- In the summer there are a number of ways to get active. Try and get at least 20 minutes of exercise in every day. Perhaps a walk, bike ride, swim, or home exercise circuit.
- Regardless if you are new to MCC or a seasoned pro, it is normal to forget some of the basics of the program. Each week set aside some time to go back through the MCC binder and try recipes that you haven’t had in a while.
- Finally, Relax and Enjoy the beautiful weather!!!
To keep lean this summer MCC is offering a summer social nutrition workshop. Work with our team of nutritionists to design a summer blueprint that includes strategies that will manage your weight and still enjoy summer social events such as the cottage, a few extra drinks, drinks, and barbecues!